Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Split Pea and Ham Soup


I got this recipe from http://www.food.com/ a great place to find pressure cooker recipes! It was super cold out today, so I decided it would be a perfect day for soup. I have never tried split pea soup, but everyone raved about it on food.com so I figured I'd give it a shot. I was surprised how yummy it was, and I was impressed by how healthy it was. I new my kids might frown at the appearance, so I jazzed it up a bit and called it "Monster Soup" They really liked it!



Ingredients:

* 1 bag (1 pound) dried split peas (found in the bean section of your grocery store)

*8 cups water

*1 small ham bone or 1 pound ham chunks (I used chopped up lunch meat-worked great!)

* 1 onion diced

* 2-3 carrots, diced

*2-3 celery ribs, diced

* 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme (I only used half that, about 3/4 teaspoon)

*Lawry seasoning to taste

*salt and pepper to taste

*1 bay leaf (the recipe didn't call for it, but I threw it in for flavor)

I like to start my pressure cooker on saute right off the bat, just to heat up the pan, it speeds up the pressurizing if the pan is already warm. So I threw in the onions and celery with a little butter to saute for a few minutes while I was chopping everything else.

Rinse and sort split peas.

Throw all the rest of the ingredients in pan. Set on High Pressure for 20 minutes. The recipe says to release pressure naturally, but I didn't, I let it sit for a few minutes and then depressurized it myself. I really don't think you can go wrong.

Stir it up and serve. It tastes great with homemade bread!!! YUM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment